About Sweet Hazel's Sweets

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
My blog will focus on baking and traveling. I chose these two because I want to share with others my love and wonderful experiences I have when I bake for others, and the intersting things I taste and see when I travel. If you are wondering where the name came from, I named my bake shop after my mother who LOVED sweets, and also like to travel, but I think she liked the sweets more. On October 20, 2015, my mother passed on, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although this disease took over her mind and body and her world she still remained the sweet gentle woman she has always been. So here's to sweets for my sweet Hazel.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Mardi Gras New Orleans 2017


HAPPY FAT TUESDAY!!

This is an areal view of what Mardi Gras in the French Quarters in New Orleans looked like this past weekend.  Of course we had sense enough to stay away from this area of town, as you can see why. Our adventure started of with my husband and two children ages 12 and 15, and one of my best friends who lives in New Orleans attending a parade Friday night.  Thank God for her, because she knew exactly which streets to avoid, where the parade routes started and ended, and which back roads to take to get there.  Saturday we attended one of the most popular parades, which was the Endymion parade.  Several other friend joined us at this parade and we had a blast.  There was a DJ, people dancing in the street, people grilling, and everyone just have an awesome time.  The parade began and the kids, and me too :), had fun catching as many beads as we could.


Our adventure didn't stop there, of course we had to taste some of the food that New Orleans has to offer.  One restaurant we tried for brunch was the Ruby Slipper located on Magazine Street, near the University Area.  I had the Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes stuffed with Cream Cheese served with chicken sausage and a cup of coffee, my daughter had the French Toast Batons tossed in powdered sugared and served with applewood bacon, my son build his own omelette, and my two friends had specials that were not on the menu.  The adults had adult beverages with our brunch, and one to go, yes you can take alcoholic beverages to go in Louisiana, gotta love Louisiana.
 After our wonderful brunch, we browsed through all of the unique shops that were along magazine street and discovered some very unique finds. 




New Orleans is a very unique, nostalgic, and a city rich in history, and I would encourage anyone who has not visited this wonderful city to visit and taste New Orleans.  



No comments:

Post a Comment