About Sweet Hazel's Sweets

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
My blog will focus on baking and traveling. I chose these two because I want to share with others my love and wonderful experiences I have when I bake for others, and the intersting things I taste and see when I travel. If you are wondering where the name came from, I named my bake shop after my mother who LOVED sweets, and also like to travel, but I think she liked the sweets more. On October 20, 2015, my mother passed on, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although this disease took over her mind and body and her world she still remained the sweet gentle woman she has always been. So here's to sweets for my sweet Hazel.

Monday, January 25, 2016

Spice A Day: Allspice


This week my blog will focus on a "Spice A Day," specifically spices used for baking.
Allspice is the spice for today.  I'll start off with a little history about Allspice.  
Columbus found allspice (the symbol of compassion) in the West Indies in 1493. The Physician on his ship noted that the tree had the “finest smell of cloves” he had ever encountered.   Allspice is a member of the pepper family.  In Caribbean cooking, it’s known as Jamaica pepper, and in Poland, it’s called kubaba.


Recipe with Allspice




  • Allspice Spice Cake:
  • Caramel Glaze:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. For the Cake, mix flour, sugars, allspice, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on low speed just until ingredients are moistened. Beat on high speed 2 minutes.

    • Stir in raisins and walnuts. Pour into greased and floured 10-cup Bundt pan.
    • Bake 55 minutes or until sides of cake pull away from pan. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack. Cool completely.
    • Meanwhile, for the Caramel Glaze, mix brown sugar, butter, cream and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until well blended and smooth. Simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool slightly before spooning over cooled cake. Let stand until glaze is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment