About Sweet Hazel's Sweets

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
My blog will focus on baking and traveling. I chose these two because I want to share with others my love and wonderful experiences I have when I bake for others, and the intersting things I taste and see when I travel. If you are wondering where the name came from, I named my bake shop after my mother who LOVED sweets, and also like to travel, but I think she liked the sweets more. On October 20, 2015, my mother passed on, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although this disease took over her mind and body and her world she still remained the sweet gentle woman she has always been. So here's to sweets for my sweet Hazel.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

What Is Pâte à Choux?

Pâte à Choux


The dough of pâte à choux is a thick paste made of water, butter, flour, and eggs — it's thicker than a batter, but not quite as stiff as a dough. It's typically piped into different shapes, and then either baked or fried. When heated, the liquid from the water and eggs quickly evaporates in the hot oven and creates steam. This makes the paste puff up as it bakes, ultimately creating a crisp, golden outer shell with a hollow, airy center.

Ways to Use Pâte à Choux


  • Profiteroles and cream puffs: Pipe or scoop out a small portion of the choux paste (usually about the size and shape of a ping-pong or golf ball) and either bake plain or with a sugary disk of short dough on top. Fill cooled profiteroles with Bavarian cream or whipped cream. Top plain puff with chocolate glaze or confectioner's sugar.
  • Eclairs: Pipe choux paste with a pastry bag fitted with a plain or star tip. Pipe "fingers" that are about 4 to 5 inches long, 2 inches apart. Glaze the tops with chocolate and fill with whipped or pastry cream.
  • Paris Brest: Pipe choux paste in a ring. Once baked and cooled, halve horizontally with a serrated knife before filling with pastry cream and dusting with confectioner's sugar.
  • Gougères: Mix grated Gruyère into the pâte à choux before piping to make savory, cheesy puffs. (Note: They will not rise like profiteroles.) Great as a canapé!
  • St. Honoré Cake: The base of this stunning cake is made of a circle of puff pastry with a ring of pâte à choux piped around the edge. After baking, top the "cake" with whipped cream and a ring of cream puffs.
  • Croquembouche: Make this show-stopping dessert by dipping pastry puffs in caramel and then stacking them in a dramatic cone-shape. The towering confection is usually then wrapped in spun sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment