About Sweet Hazel's Sweets

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
My blog will focus on baking and traveling. I chose these two because I want to share with others my love and wonderful experiences I have when I bake for others, and the intersting things I taste and see when I travel. If you are wondering where the name came from, I named my bake shop after my mother who LOVED sweets, and also like to travel, but I think she liked the sweets more. On October 20, 2015, my mother passed on, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although this disease took over her mind and body and her world she still remained the sweet gentle woman she has always been. So here's to sweets for my sweet Hazel.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Spice of the Day: Anise

Today's Spice is Anise.  Anise, considered good for digestion, Anise was common in cough drops and in flavoring homemade spirits and tonics. In 13th-century England, the tax on anise paid for repairs to the London Bridge.


Anise Cookies



Ingredients

* 1 cup butter, softened 
* 3/4 cups sugar 
* 1 teaspoon anise extract 
* 1 teaspoon lemon extract 
* 3 cups flour 
* 3 teaspoons baking powder (Yes, really. These guys will puff up. And they are supposed to be airy, almost like a biscuit, but not quite.) 
* 1/4 teaspoon salt 
* 3 eggs 

Glaze Ingredients: 

* 1 cup powdered sugar 
* milk (eyeball it, no specific measurement, you choose your consistency) 
* colored sprinkles 

Procedure

* Pre-heat oven to 350 F. 
* Beat together butter and sugar until creamy. 
* Stir in anise and lemon 
* Add eggs. Blend. 
* Add dry ingredients - blend together. 
* The dough should be almost crumbly, but when you roll it in your hand it stays together. 
* Form dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. (Try not to get much bigger than 1 inch) 
* Bake for 
* Cool and glaze. 





No comments:

Post a Comment