About Sweet Hazel's Sweets

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
My blog will focus on baking and traveling. I chose these two because I want to share with others my love and wonderful experiences I have when I bake for others, and the intersting things I taste and see when I travel. If you are wondering where the name came from, I named my bake shop after my mother who LOVED sweets, and also like to travel, but I think she liked the sweets more. On October 20, 2015, my mother passed on, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, although this disease took over her mind and body and her world she still remained the sweet gentle woman she has always been. So here's to sweets for my sweet Hazel.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Spice Pumpkin Cake

                                                                       
Some of my favorite spices are cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.  I love the smell of these spices by themselves and especially while they are baking in the oven. Below is a recipe that contains all four of my favorite spices.  Enjoy! Oh and don't forget a cup of coffee to go along with it. 
Spice Pumpkin Cake
Makes two 9-inch layers





For the cake:
  • 3cups flour
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4teaspoon nutmeg
  • teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1teaspoon ground ginger
  • 3teaspoons baking powder
  • 1teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2cups sugar
  • 3eggs
  • 1 1/2cups canned pumpkin
  • 1/2cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4cup water
  • 2teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
  • 3 1/2cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 1/3cup butter, softened
  • 11ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2teaspoons maple syrup
  1. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Butter and flour two round 9-inch cake pans (I used a sheet cake pan and punched out my layers using a ring mold, hence the many layers in the photo).
  2. Whisk together the flour, salt, spices, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl or in a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. 
  4. Add the pumpkin, evaporated milk, water, and vanilla, mixing after each addition.
  5. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake springs back to the touch and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack to cool fully. It's best to chill the cakes in the refrigerators before frosting them.
  7. For the frosting: Beat together all the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy. 
  8. If you want a cake with more layers, slice your two layers in half horizontally. Frost between each layer and top with more frosting. Leave the sides unfrosted if you like, or cover them with a thin layer of frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment